Animal Control ServicesThe City of El Cerrito contracts with for animal control services.
The Contra Costa County Animal Services Departments’ jurisdiction extends throughout the county and all of its cities (with the exception of the City of Antioch).
The Contra Costa County Animal Services Departments’ Department Mission is to:
- Protect the citizens of Contra Costa County from animal related disease and from animal injury
- Encourage responsible pet ownership and the humane treatment of animals
- Enforcement of State Laws and County Ordinances relating to the control of animals and animal welfare
- Minimize animal suffering
- Reduce the number of animals that are euthanized in the County
- Maximize the number of dogs licensed in the County
- Educate the public regarding responsible pet ownership
- Provide a high level of humane care for animals in our custody
Overview Of Services
Shelter Servicesinclude a variety of mandatory services, such as maintenance of an animal depository, veterinary care for stray animals, a rabies vaccination clinic, and a dog licensing program. Various discretionary services are also provided, such as animal adoptions, a low cost spay and neuter clinic, and the acceptance of owner-surrendered animals.
Field Servicesare provided in the way of mandatory services, such as the enforcement of the relevant sections of the County Code and relevant sections of State Statutes, impoundment of stray dogs, and the investigation of animal bites. Various discretionary services are also provided in the field, such as investigating disputes involving animals, and humane education.
Field Services include, but are not limited to:
- Rabies Control; animal bite investigations, quarantine of biting animals, testing of rabies suspects
- Leash law enforcement
- Dog license enforcement
- Investigation of animal cruelty, crimes against animals, other crimes involving animals
- Animal rescue
- Response to sick and injured wildlife
- Response to loose livestock
Types of Animals that are cared for
- Domestic companion animals - dogs and cats.
- Livestock and poultry - cattle, horses, goats, pigs, sheep, farm birds and rabbits.
- Exotic animals - ferrets, parrots, pythons, other large birds and reptiles.
- Native wildlife - game, non-game, and furbearing mammals; bats, beavers, bobcats, coyote, deer, elk, foxes, opossums, otters, pigs, raccoons, skunks and marine mammals.
- Game fowl, waterfowl and raptors.